Ok finally I graced you...

Drop a line here if you are a new Glaston, or an old one returning.

Ok finally I graced you...

Postby koras » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:20 pm

Hey guys!

Long time no see. I know i've been a bad little Glaston but hey. I'll fill any of you in who care:
I have taken a break from WoW and have concentrated on my "research" into the phenom that is the "Interweb." Were you aware that there are pictures of naked ladys contained in this "interweb" and you can look at them for free? Yeah i know... it's fricken awesome! So i've been doing a lot of that.

And well I got the WoW jones' so I decided to check out free servers. Currently I'm playing on Wowgasm. It can be found at
http://www.wowgasm.org
Basically the same deal as regular wow except for some slight differences. First the level cap is 254 instead of 70, next is you can get to level 70 by grinding only and that takes approximately 5 hours to play. Yeah that's awesome. The server is quite active with guilds and raiding of course is the real draw to the game. Gold isn't a problem as you get like 200g per kill. It's totally cheating and for those who enjoy doing the same quests over and over this isn't for you. This is for those who like instant gratification. I already have my Tier 3 set, epic staff and wand and of course all my slots filled. It's cool to be uber without having to play 12 hours a day everyday. So yeah I'm liking that. If anyone wants to check it out send me a message (Skurge is playing too) Helly mentioned something about Lex wanting to check it out so cool man DO IT!

Basically I'm not really "in" to any games right now. Playing the beta of UT3 here and there. Pretty weak but it's free... still waiting for something that i'm gonna get into... the wait continues.

So yeah hope to lurk around here and post the odd hilarious shite.
koras
Regular

Postby Mildred » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:57 am

Slight difference #42- private servers are illegal. Kudos to posting about it on a public forum.
Mildred
MillyPants

Postby Hellion » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:07 am

Meh. Bliz is rich enough !
The Cow says "moo"
The Chicken says "cluck"
The Hellion says "*@&#%&"
Commander Hellion
Glastonbury Industrial Technologies
Hellion
Drama Queen

Postby Skurge » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:27 am

Aww come on Tenraven, its not like this is the first illegal thing we have done and posted about :) Hell, we have how many movies, about 300, that we've "stolen", and I have about 20GB of music that has also been acquired by less than acceptable means. Plus all the free WoW servers have public forums on which you can post, so posting there vs here is no different. Both are "public" but you still have to sign up for both.

I guess whether you agree or not, being able to play for an hour and do anything you want in game, litterally, for an hour or two for free is awesome.
Skurge
Smaked
Smaked

Postby XLCS » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:50 am

I was the first Glaston to bail out of WoW 4 months after it went live with the advent of that shitty "honor system" and all the douchebags that it brought out of the closet. Haven't had the desire to return since, either.

I do find this rather amusing though - I thought Skurge was joking in the other post. Someone actually took the time to crack WoW and set up servers for it? There's gonna be one helluva shit storm man, Bliz has billions from this one title alone. They probably make about $100,000,000 a month just from subs (last check they had 6.5 million subs). That kind of money can buy some heavy lawyerage and policing. The fatcats aren't going to go for bootleg servers cutting into their cool-aid drinking subscription numbers.

XBOX/PS3: zenbiont, Steam ID: [GC] XLCS, Xfire: xlcs
Fb, Li
XLCS
BoarD Chairman

Postby Skurge » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:27 pm

XLCS wrote:I was the first Glaston to bail out of WoW 4 months after it went live with the advent of that shitty "honor system" and all the douchebags that it brought out of the closet. Haven't had the desire to return since, either.

I do find this rather amusing though - I thought Skurge was joking in the other post. Someone actually took the time to crack WoW and set up servers for it? There's gonna be one helluva [shirt] storm man, Bliz has billions from this one title alone. They probably make about $100,000,000 a month just from subs (last check they had 6.5 million subs). That kind of money can buy some heavy lawyerage and policing. The fatcats aren't going to go for bootleg servers cutting into their cool-aid drinking subscription numbers.

Heh, not jokin' at all Lexy. There are litterally hundreds of free servers out there. Most are laggy and buggy as hell, but they are there. They all will probably get shut down eventually, but for now they are alive and running.
Skurge
Smaked
Smaked

Postby earthwulf » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:30 pm

Er, lex? I don't think Ilasted even a month.. with all the promise of what was in beta (I'd been in for most phases) and all the crap that wnet live, I was disappointed. I did come back for a little bit once every few months though.
Contributor: http://haystackblog.wordpress.com/
Occasional winner: http://needleinthehay.net/
earthwulf
Diddly Womper, 1st class

Postby koras » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:05 pm

Tenraven: yeah in no way am i saying people should stop playing retail if they're into WoW. The free servers are buggy and have lag and are less than perfect by all rights but as I was never good enough or had enough time to put into the game to get the gear and see the end game content I muck around with it out of curiousilty. I paid to play for about 2 years combining my BH days and SC. So it's not like i'm a complete pirate or anything. I probably won't play for long on the free ones. It does get frustrating when there's constant server resets and you lose levels/items. I had full intentions of setting up my own server and running lan games but after I found out how much work and know-how you need to keep a server running I had a moment of weakness and curiousity and had to check em out.

Blizz does have a tonne of money this is true. It's because of this that I can see why people are latching on to free servers. The whole "fight the power" mentality. Really if they wanted to they could spend some bucks, sue some people and those would go away but true pirates will always find a better, faster way of making software, music and books free. I don't know if we'll ever see a day when it's impossible to pirate something.

This really went off on a tangent. Just wanted to let you all know what I was up to due to my lack of wanting to pay for something that I'll rarely play.
koras
Regular

Postby Mildred » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:01 am

I find the "fight the power" mentality funny, because generally the ones it hurts most are the average joes who just wanna get paid. The Fat Cats aren't going anywhere because a few people decide not to pay their $15.

But whatever floats you boat...I'm certainly not gonna condemn you for having a bit of fun, but I don't have to agree with the methods, either.
Mildred
MillyPants

Postby Stash » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:31 am

The Fat Cats aren't going anywhere because a few people decide not to pay their $15.

Heh. yea I get the feeling that Blizzard doesn't even care about these free sites. They get enough to be happy, and all the troublemakers are not on their servers.

By the way, even with the free sites, I just can't bring myself to have fun on WoW. I just don't get these guys that are still banging at it. Just as soon as they get all the top stuff again, Blizzard is going to toss out that new xpac and they are going to have to do it all over again.

Meh

Oh and for Lex

PotBS will feed the hungry!

Stash
Cap'n

Postby XLCS » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:51 am

Remember when DAoC had the most subs at 200,000 ($3,000,000/month)... a drop in the bucket for Bliz at around 6,500,000 ($97,000,000/month), & most of WoW subscribers are in China (http://www.mmogchart.com/). There's no way dev companies are gonna get rid of subscription fees unfortunately, especially when they can milk the burgeoning economies of China and India. I think Guild Wars does it by employing black market child labor. :shock:

Sorry Koras, and Hello BTW :wavebanana:

XBOX/PS3: zenbiont, Steam ID: [GC] XLCS, Xfire: xlcs
Fb, Li
XLCS
BoarD Chairman

Return to Welcome Tales