Once upon a time

For any stories that don't fit into the other categories... let loose with the writing!

Once upon a time

Postby Stash » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:31 pm

"Your deal, Stash."

"Right. What say, this time we do one eyed jacks be tha wild buggers."

"Just deal the cards."

Sounds from a poorly played out of tune piano across the room, as the three saloon patrons took their cards and arranged them to suit their own personal preferences. The third member at the table took the time the silence offered to give the pair curious glances.

"Yas gonna bet, or just bloody give tha wiggety eye?"

"I was just curous bout ya two." The third man replied. "Where bouts ya two come from?"

"Where we be from?"

"Yea, see ya all got a funny way of speaking, well ya in particular. He," He said motioning to the one who had called for the deal, "well he is all proper an such, an from what I been hear'n, English like. But ya all, I jus can't place yer way of speakin', all funny like."

"Funny like?! Oy! It be the kings own English it do! Bloody funny like. Bloody well bet already ya staff masted git."

The third man turned to the first one with a questioning look. "That be some sort of insult?"

Not looking up from his cards, the first man replied. "The worst kind."

With a shocked look to the first man then back to the third, who was now slowly turning red with anger, the one that had been called Stash quickly smiled and put up a hand in plantation. "Look mate, no harm were ment. I were jus funnin yas. yas know, friend ta friend an such. It were all in good humor mate."

"I once heard someone talk like that." An scruffy old man at the bar turned and faced the table. "Back in Orleans." He paused while he took a drink from his glass. "I were workin the docks thare. Oh, had to be near fourty years ago, durin the war." Again the old man took a drink. "Thare was the feller, he were a Pirate, well of the sort that were workin for the South."

"Privateer, mate, it be called a Privateer." The silence at the table broken as the table rocked with a sudden movement. "Oy! Ya git why ya bloody kickin me?"

"Yea, Privateer, that's what they called em." continued the old man, "He talked just like you do there boy. He went by the name Stash Solstar, were right proud of it he were, tol' everone who he were. Oddest bunch of men he had as a crew, gut you as soon as look at you, but at the same time friendly as all get out. Oddest one of the bunch were his first mate, a man called John Hellion, quiet sort." Again he took a slow drink. "Funny that."

"Funny? How so mate?"

"Well I'd say you two were Stash and John, and I do seem to remember thare were a rather hefty bounty out on the pair, seems they did a bit more 'privateering' after the war ended as well." He squinted at the pair as the third card player slowly scooted his chair out.

"Mate, you gots us confused an such. Ya said yas self, that were forty years ago!" The man called Stash held a hand towards each man in a placating gesture. "We ain’t, nor could be said scallywags, we ain’t old nuff!"

"Stash." The silent man said warningly as he looked around the saloon. The patrons either quickly heading for a nearby exit, or moving in to surround the table.

"Oh bugger it.." The man called Stash said, right before he upturned the table, drawing a pistol and shooting the old man who had already drawn his own pistol.

The quiet one that had been referred to as John was no slower, catching the third card player with a bullet just as he was about to shoot the one called Stash. Gunfire erupted from several other patrons, as the two ducked behind the now sheltering table.

"Privateers, they're called Privateers." He mocked.

"Oh bloody well stuff it, an shoot, ya git."

John rolled out from behind the table shooting another of the patrons that were trying to kill them, as Stash lept up and shot the last. Both moving so fast that their adversaries had no time to react.

John began to quickly reload his pistol. "Well, thank the Danann there are not many that can match us. Otherwise you'd of gotten us killed long ago."

"Ya cin bugger off any time ya wants, ya know."

"What and miss all the opportunity to rub it in?"

"Oy! Tha travesty if tha' were to happen." Stash growled as he checked outside the window. "We better head fer calmer water, I think."

"Where to then?"

"Jonny me boy, I been ponderin that. I do believe our time here in tha Americas be up fer a bit."

John pulled the curtain back from the other window so he could see out. "Well where did you have in mind, back to England?"

"No mate, too stuffy there anymore. All top hats and long coats. I be thinkin on that other side o' world. New South Wales."

"You mean Australia."

"Oy, aye, that be what they be callin it now."

"Sounds good to me, but you know.." John trailed off.

"What, mate?"

"They're going to think you talk funny too." John finished with a grin.

Stash mumbled as he exited the saloon, pistol out against the empty street.

Stash
Cap'n

Re: Once upon a time

Postby earthwulf » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:54 pm

Nice start. Excellent way to introduce the characters & setting. Only quibble is " 'Stash.' The silent man said..." This makes me think that he's a telepath...

Strong sense of characters & timeframe; I like it.
Contributor: http://haystackblog.wordpress.com/
Occasional winner: http://needleinthehay.net/
earthwulf
Diddly Womper, 1st class

Postby Stash » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:14 pm

The stories begining is actually, Here, Here, Here, here, and Here (in that order)

This one is, well sometime after those, and sometime before the main part.

Like I said, a prelude of sorts.

Stash
Cap'n

Postby Hellion » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:47 pm

hehe YAY !!!!! MORE LIKE THIS !!!!
The Cow says "moo"
The Chicken says "cluck"
The Hellion says "*@&#%&"
Commander Hellion
Glastonbury Industrial Technologies
Hellion